As described below, we use the information we collect from school administrators, teachers, parents, guardians, and students in connection with their use of our Service to provide the Service to your school and to inform and improve our Services.
1. Information We Collect
In providing our Services, we and our service providers may collect the following:
- Information submitted by a teacher about himself or herself, such as first and last name, email address, profession, username and password, country of residence, school name, and school zip code.
- Information submitted by a teacher about the students in a particular classroom, such as first and last names, student ID numbers, usernames and passwords, gender and other demographic information, learning level, and performance data.
- Information about a student’s parent or guardian, such as names and email addresses. This information may be submitted by a teacher or by the parent or guardian, and we may associate it with the student’s information.
- Information and content submitted by a teacher, such as lesson plans and notes.
- Information and content submitted by a student, such as responses to questions, activities, assignments, and postings to a forum viewable by others in the same class.
- Information about the use of the Services, including a user’s general location (based on IP address or GPS), when, and for how long a user accesses our Services, what content a user views, and what actions he or she takes.
- Information from and about a user’s device, such as mobile device type, browser type and version, operating system name and version, IP address, and referring URL. We collect this information automatically when you access our services, to help us understand usage, diagnose problems, administer our Services, and provide support.
- Information collected through cookies, which are pieces of information stored directly on a user’s computer, and other persistent identifiers. We and our service providers use this information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, to personalize your experience while using the Services, and to recognize your computer in order to assist your use of the Services. We also gather statistical information about use of the Services in order to continually improve their design and functionality, understand how they are used and assist us with resolving questions regarding them.
- Information collected through pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) or other, similar technologies to track how you navigate through our Services, so that we can understand, for example, what links are clicked and what content is accessed and for how long.
2. How We Use and Disclose the Information We Collect
- To permit teachers to tailor and optimize our Services to the needs of a particular classroom or student.
- To permit teachers to review students’ work, monitor students’ performance and progress, plan lessons, and otherwise support instruction.
- To permit parents and guardians to review their children’s work and monitor their performance and progress.
- To offer students feedback and support, permit them to access information shared by their teachers, suggest other content or activities for them, help them track their own progress and maintain a file of their work, and allow them to create a collection of books.
- To personalize user experience, such as displaying a student’s name on his or her profile page or the teacher dashboard.
- For analytics purposes, to understand how our Services are accessed and used, and how they perform, so that we may improve upon their design and functionality. We also perform analytics on aggregate information that does not permit the identification of any individual user.
- To provide teachers with various types of reports, such as reports detailing the performance and progress of a particular classroom or student.
- To communicate with teachers and parents or guardians, subject to any communications preferences they express.
- To diagnose problems, troubleshoot issues, and provide maintenance and support.
- To our third party service providers, who provide services such as website hosting and customer service, to permit them to provide those services to us.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We may use and disclose information that does not identify or otherwise directly relate to an individual for any purpose, subject to any restrictions imposed by applicable law.
3. Third Party Services
5. User Access
6. Retention Period
8. Contact Us
Last updated June 22, 2017