Shelby County Schools Online Literacy Program
Through a partnership with Methodist Healthcare & the Urban Child Institute, we are offering BookNook to select Shelby County Schools sites the 2020-2021 School Year!
How it works…
– Staff use the BookNook app to work with students in 1-1 or small group sessions to develop literacy skills.
– App Reading Guides can be teachers, paraprofessionals, or volunteers.
– Devices pair for synchronous learning remotely or in-person.
– BookNook will run on SCS provided devices.
– Lessons take 30 minutes.
What will be expected of your school…
– Identify the population of students at your site that will participate in the program.
– Identify a program champion. This could be an administrator or staff member that will have regular oversight of the day-to-day functions.
– Identify building and/or volunteer support to implement the program.
– Communicate opportunity to families.
– Strategize and coordinate scheduling of services with families and staff.
– Attend regularly scheduled check-ins with BookNook support staff and SCS Office of Academics team to review program progress.
– Support fidelity usage of the program, ensuring students attend minimum number of sessions.
What you can expect…
– Full staff and support training on the BookNook literacy platform. This will include administrator training, student profile alignment, and implementation training.
– Monthly check-ins with BookNook support team to review data and best practices.
– Continuous BookNook tech support for all users.
– SCS FACE department will help coordinate additional volunteer support.
Our Partners say…
I enjoyed the structure of the program, the flexibility for teachers to change lessons at their discretion, and for the opportunity for interaction with the students. It had a wide variety of books on many different skill levels and I think it will be helpful to the students as they prepare for virtual learning in the fall.
Elementary School Teacher, Shelby County Schools
What I loved most about BookNook is its user-friendly interface for teachers and students. There was no guesswork, as I did not have to worry whether our On-site or Remote Learning Guides time used wisely. The lessons kept both the guides and students engaged.
Reading Program Developer, AmeriCorps Vista